Followers

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Chalkboard Painted Mug

I know that it's a little belated, but my friends and I are celebrating Christmas tomorrow...
I'm sure that you're thinking that it's a little crazy,
but it's a good thing for me because I couldn't think of ANY ideas!

I didn't understand why I was having such a hard time deciding on presents,
but luckily I went to Pier One Imports 
and I saw these adorable mugs
and an idea hit me!

I have a love for chalkboard paint, so I wondered if I could chalkboard paint these mugs.
I ended up buying them thinking that if it didn't work 
then they were cute and I could still give them to my friends!
I got home and gathered my supplies:
Paint Brushes
Mugs
Chalkboard Paint
Chalk
Baker's Twine
Painter's Tape 
 I began by taping off half of my mug with painter's tape, but you could paint the whole mug or even try different designs like chevron or scallops
(I recommend the green frog tape because the chalkboard paint seeps through more easily)
 I added my first coat of paint,
 but I removed the tape while the paint was still wet because the paint will peel if you let it dry with the tape. I'm not a very patient person so it was torture to follow the drying directions for the paint.
 I painted 3 coats to be sure that I had fully covered the mug and I let them dry for about 4 hours to ensure that they were fully dry then I stuck my mugs in the oven for 35 minutes at 300 degrees to make it dishwasher and microwavable safe.
I coated the whole mug in chalk and then wiped it all off and began writing fun messages to my friends. I attached a piece of chalk with some red baker's twine. Now they can enjoy decorating them however they want! I can't wait to give them to them and I hope that y'all like them as much as my friends will.

Thank y'all for reading,
Lindsey

Linking to:
Romantic Home
French Country Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment